This is a delicious, light and lovely smoothie that you’ll often find yourself making. If you’ve never tried using almond milk, this is a great introduction.
* 2 – 3 large ripe bananas, peeled, roughly sliced
* 2 cups almond milk
* 1/4 cup plain yogurt (optional – use for thicker smoothie)
* 2 cups ice cubes
* 2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar or agave nectar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (not imitation)
* 1/8 teaspoon almond extract (optional – use for stronger almond flavor)
Blend ingredients in blender until smooth. Divide smoothies among 4 small glasses. For extra depth of flavor sprinkle lightly with nutmeg and/or cinnamon.
Instead of ice, I sometimes freeze the bananas and omit the ice. I sometimes also omit the ice and just use frozen blueberries.
Almond Milk is a dairy-free product made from ground almonds that is available at some supermarkets. I’ve always found the milk at Trader Joes. If you can’t find it, just substitute whole milk or soy milk. Another option is to take milk and add at least 1 teaspoon of almond extract.